Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 16 after hip surgery.

My hip is doing well. The constant grinding pain of bone on bone that had been with me everyday for the past few years has gone (of course) and has been replace by a very weird dull ache of having metal in me...i especially feel the stem that is now down inside my thigh bone...i also have a real sense of a 'spike' of some sort in my groin....all these sensations are unpleasant to say the least, but nowhere near the pain i had endured for over 3 years, while my natural joint disintergrated.
I have also gone from taking up to 12 heavy duty pain killers per day (Codalgin) to 2 Oxycontins and 4 Panadeine in a 24 hour period, this has made my gut feel a lot better.
Mentally it is a very weird headspace, having a prosthesis, i often find myself 'mourning' the loss of my natural self, the bone that i was born with having been sawn off and thrown out, sometimes that makes me feel sad.
But all in all I am positive.
I am one one walking stick and over the past 3 days have been walking an average of 1.5 kilometres....it is hard work, and very tiring but rewarding.
And... some GREAT news, today I was able to get into our bath to have a shower!!!!....first shower in 10 or so days!!!...I feel human!...it took some careful manoeuvering but I got there!!!!....I can't tell you how great it feels.